Friday, March 20, 2009

Tying Flies - Do you Fly Fish and want to Tie Your Own

Photobucket



There was a time when I considered myself an avid fly fisherman, but still felt that I was missing out on one key aspect of the sport - tying flies. I spend a ton of time fishing and I also paint and draw fly fishing related artworks. It was nearing Christmas a long time ago when my fly tying hobby took hold. My brother was aware of my passion for fly fishing and I must have mentioned the concept of staring to tie flies to him at some point because Christmas morning I unwrapped a gift that has changed my life.

As I removed the wrapping paper from the gift I found a fly tying kit that included the vice and all of the tools required for tying. The best gift was still to come. Tucked inside of the carrying case for the vice there was a gift card that stated I was enrolled in fly tying classes at the local fly shop. I could not wait to start the classes.

Upon arrival at the fly shop I was introduced to a retired dentist who taught 5 of us how to tie. I truly enjoyed the class and have been applying the methods I learned t the flies I tie ever since.

If you are interested in learning to tie your own flies make sure to check out your local fly shop or sporting goods store. They will offer beginner classes where you do not need to bring a thing. This method is a great introduction to fly tying because you will be able to check out all of the vices and tools the shop has prior to investing any money into your own. These days there are many options when it comes to the vice you choose and being able to test drive a few prior to buying is a great option.

Photobucket



I am going to writing an article that displays the basic fly tying tools and their uses in the near future. Let me know your thoughts.

Jon Waske
DryFlyWaters.com
The Official Art Studio of Jonathon A. Waske
All artwork and photos by Jon Waske

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your opinion!!!