Friday, March 20, 2009

Fly to Fish / Fly and Fish a "Traveling Guide"


I spend much of my time on the home front Michigan fishing waters for which I can simply throw my fly fishing gear into my car. These types of trips are the easiest to plan. There are no limitations to the items brought. I am lucky enough to take one or two trips per year to a remote location. These trips always involve flying to fish. Fly and Fish involves an entirely different set of planning requirements. These are the main tips I have developed based on my many Fly to Fish / Fly and Fish trips.




1. Packable rod and reel kit: The first and foremost item needed on your fishing trip is your rod and reel. Fly to Fish trips require you to have the ability to fish. The most important item involved in fishing is your Rod & Reel.




2. Fly to Fish Clothes: I am a strong believer of convertible pant and shorts for Fly to Fish trips. I does not matter to me if you buy them at Walmart or Orvis. I think the basic concept is great. You can wear one pair of convertibles as shorts or pants for days if need be. I also recommend wearing a vented fishing button down collared shirt. If you lose your luggage you could easily get by in a decent restaurant wearing a Columbia or sage fishing shirt with khaki convertible pants. I also recommend a pair of shoes or boots that could double as wading boots if you can not fit yours in the carry on.




3. Carry On Bag: When I am going to Florida for a beach vacation I place basic items in my carry on that I could not live without. This includes a swimsuit, t-shirt and underwear. When I am flying to Western Wisconsin I place items I can not replace for a Fly and Fish trip. If there is room these items include my breathable waders, bug spray, fishing glasses, my favorite hat, my fishing license and any additional item that could net be easily and cheaply replaced if your additional luggage is lost.




4. Local Information: Prior to flying to a fishing destination I take the time to find out where the local Meijer, Walmart or Kmart is located. My reasoning for this effort serves two main purposes. First, these stores often sell local fishing licenses. Second, if you lose your luggage you can easily replace any item of general clothing for a fraction of the cost you would pay at a sporting goods store. You need to plan for the worst, not a whole new Top of the line fishing ensemble.




There you have my top 4 tips for Fly to Fish / Fly and Fish trips. Make sure to plan ahead and focus on your fishing needs when packing your carry on bag and deciding what to wear on the plane.
Jon Waske
All Art & Photos are created by ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your opinion!!!