Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fly Fishing Outfitters - A Review of My Favorites


I have been an avid fly fisherman and fly fishing artist for years. Throughout that time I have made multiple purchases from many of the popular fly fishing outfitters and some of the not so well known. I have kept track of my purchasing experiences and have decided to publish this article to share my experiences.

The major fly fishing outfitters many purchase their items from include stores like Orvis, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop and Gander Mountian. I have opted to include another store I will call "your local fly shop". This is a fly fishing outfitter store that sells anything and everything fly fishing. The following is my take on these stores:

Orvis: Orvis has a wide variety of products that represent a way of life. This is expressed in everything from the clothes to the fly fishing items. They have top quality products in a wide assortment of price ranges. I think Orvis is great place for the seasoned fly fisherman.

Bass Pro: It has been my experience that Bass Pro caters more to the general fisherman than the fly fisherman. Their store carries limited amounts of fly fishing equipment and supplies. They are like a Home Depot for sportsmen. A great place to spend time and money when you have both.

Cabelas: If Bass Pro is like Home Depot then Cabelas is like Lowes. I actually prefer to shop for my fly fishing equipment and supplies at Cabelas over Bass Pro. I find that their Cabelas brand items are of the highest quality. I purchased a packable fly rod outfit from Cabelas years ago. Now there are over 7 packable rod outfits owned by those within my circle of fly fishing friends.

Gander Mountain: I have found that Gander Mountain is a great spot to stop in on your way to a fly fishing destination if you need to pick up a few odds and ends. It is not a store you would visit to purchase you first fly fishing outfit and seek advice on the entire sport.

Local Fly Shop: These types of stores might not have the best deals on all of the supplies, but they do contain the most valuable product on the market - KNOWLEDGE. I would suggest visiting your local fly shop and being honest about your experience level and seek their advice on your purchases. Many of the shop employees will share their experiences in hopes that you will become a loyal customer. This type of store is the clear WINNER!!

In summary it is my opinion that all of the retailers you can purchase fly fishing items have their place in our sport, but the Locally Owned Fly Shop is where this sport was borne and where it will continue to live.

JW

http://dryflywaters.com/
The Official Art Studio of
Jonathon A. Waske

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your opinion!!!