Thursday, March 12, 2009

Trout Art - Fly Fishing Artist





Trout Art is definately one of my favorite subjects. As an avid fly fisherman who also loves to paint and draw I have explored the world of Trout Art. I think that each type of sportfish represents certain things to the specfic anglers that pursure them. I know for me trout have become a lifelong pursuit. Along with the fishing pursuit I have made it one of my favorite hobbies to create trout art that will last long after I am gone.
I live and fish in the state of Michigan. I have spent more time fishing for smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, panfish and pike because of the abundant streams, rivers and lakes that hold these fish. Even with all of my time spent not fishing for trout - it is still one of my favorite subjects to draw, paint and photograph.
I can remember the first brook trout I caught when I was younger. I was on a tiny stream when I felt that definitive tug. The brookie could not have been more than 4 inches in length, but was one of the most important things I have ever held. I remember thinking that the fall colors displayed on the body of the fish should not be found in these waters. He looked to be more of a tropical fish tha one at the surface of a suburban stream.
It was from that point on that Trout Art became one of my favorite subjects. I started out by drawing simple pictures of rainbow trout, brook trout and brown trout. It was not log until I began applying the watercolor technique to my trout art. The first paintings I completed were crude but I still loved them.

In the recent years I have started to paint and draw multiple types of trout art. I do profile paintings and drawings that look more like an old book used to identify the distinguishing marks of each species. I also started a collection of charcoal art works that are mainly fishing trout art works. These are one of the most challenging works of art I have ever done. The third type of trout artwork I am starting to complete are representations of fish when they were caught. Some are of the trout on the rocks or in the anglers hand just prior to release.
I am planning on working up some watercolor paintings of different fish based on the results of my survey on this blog. So if you think another fish should be the next on my list let me know through e-mail or by voting in my poll.

JW
The Official Art Studio of Jonathon A. Waske
All images in my blogs are original works of art by ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your opinion!!!